Why does Alfred need permission to certain information? Is my information safe with Alfred?

Why does Alfred need permission to certain information? Is my information safe with Alfred?

If your device is running Android 6.0 and up, you would feel this more acutely than others: why do I have to manually grant Alfred access to different things?

In short, to protect your privacy, Android now asks for permission again when you launch Alfred for the first time. Here is the permission Alfred needs and why:

*Access to photos, media, and files: Alfred needs to save and retrieve the captured videos and photos.

*Take pictures and record video: Alfred is a home security app that receives and delivers photos and videos.

*Access to your contacts: Alfred relies on Gmail login to pair your devices, which Google phrases as “contacts.”

*Record audio: you can hear as well as speak to the Camera Phone from your Viewer Phone.

Is your information safe with Alfred? Absolutely! Google manages countless apps. To avoid liability, they choose to phrase everything in the broadest way possible. Take “contacts” for example, we will never have access to your list of contacts. We have no intention of ever going through your list of contacts. It’s just that Google lists many items under the umbrella term of “contacts.” In Alfred’s case, we only need permission for users to log in with Gmail.

If it were up to us, we would love to phrase things in a much less unsettling way or explain it more clearly. However, we have no control over how Google does things.

As developers of a home security app, we value your privacy more than anything else, and we would do everything to protect it. If you want to know more about how we do that, please check this post out.

If you haven’t, please go to “app permissions” and allow everything!

Need further assistance? Go back to the list of frequently asked questions, check out the tips, start a new thread, or fill out the issue report form!

Build your FREE home security system by downloading Alfred:

Frequently Asked Questions