Where are my videos stored?

video

We get these questions a lot too. Let’s answer them here.

About the storage of videos, we thought about saving them on the Camera devices, but most Camera devices used by our users are old/retired/second-hand/budget phones that do not have a lot of memory. Besides, if the videos are stored on the Camera device, video evidence can be damaged if the Camera is taken away by thieves or burglars.

We thought about storing the videos on the Viewer device, but a large number of our users have more than 6 Camera devices, so the Viewer device can easily run out of memory too.

At this point, the videos are stored in the cloud, and secured by your Gmail account. You are the only person with access to the videos. You can find them in your Event Book:

Information security has been Alfred’s top priority. By default, your connection is private. Alfred has established strict policies and technical barriers to prevent unauthorized access to your data. How? With the support of top-tier cyber security mechanisms— W3C, Google, Android, and Amazon— Alfred is equipped with the most advanced protection.

Here are the reasons why Alfred is your top choice for secured surveillance:

1. The video/audio streams in live communication are encrypted by industry standard 256-bit AES encryption.
  2. With Google authentication, Alfred provides the strongest security for your account. Google verifies identities when you log in on a new device or different locations, to ensure no one is breaking into your account and raise your security awareness.
  3. Alfred uses industry standard OAuth2 scheme for user sign-in and no password is kept at one Alfred’s server.
  4. Alfred secures your data in point-2-point transit. Unlike other surveillance apps, Alfred enforces HTTPS and highest possible TLS level for all communications with our service backend and/or other 3rd-party service providers to encrypt your video. It prevents your video from being hacked between the 2 points in the network.
  5. Your user data is stored securely on Amazon S3, the most secured clouding storage in the world with the highest-quality encryption technologies.
  6. Each Alfred server API call uses a reverse proxy. The transmission takes an extremely short time and is protected by users credentials.

Warning: Since you are the only person with access to the videos, once they are deleted, we cannot recover them. To SAVE them, please follow the instructions here:

Thank you for this valuable question that gives us an opportunity to show you how Alfred chooses his partners to enhance security and present his confidence in information security.

Build your FREE home security system by downloading Alfred:

Where are the Videos stored?
Where. Can, I find my recorded videos
Save videos to Drive
Where does the App Save the alerts?
How do I set up the camera?
Como visualizo vídeos de um dia anterior?
動画の保存最大件数に上限はありますか?
Does it record and archive the events that triggers the motion detector?
Where are send motion vidéo?
Alfred worked one day, now will not
Alfred Camera platform security vulnerability questions
Your Service agreement?

Does Alfred provide two step authentication for files to be downloaded by law enforcement via a secure .ziped file for such uses.?

This question does not actually answer the question of “where are my videos stored” if my goal is to go to them and view them.

So, regardless of security settings/ issues, where are my videos stored so that I can go and view them? I’d like to see what’s there.

Hi @jaydub
Thank you for clarifying!!!

Alfred makes two kinds of videos: Motion Detection Videos and the recordings you make during live views.

At the top of your camera list, you can see a starred folder (in red box). There you can find recordings you make during live views.

Motion detection videos can be found by tapping on the Motion Detection icon (shadows and a radar). Motion Detection videos are kept 1 to 7 days depending on your setting. If you want to save the videos, at the end of each clip, you can generate a permanent and encrypted link. Then the videos can be found in the starred folder.

By talking about storing videos, I’d like to know does alfred surveillance app support to store all my videos on my private cloud storage, I’m using FreeNAS and I have 5TB HDD at home.
Thank you.

Hey @minhkhoi89vn,

Thank you so much for reaching out!

For the moment, the videos are stored on Alfred’s cloud. We are exploring alternative storage options. Please continue to support Alfred and stay tuned!

There are a few things to consider.

I just tried a simple test.

Had Alfred and and scanning for motion detection.
Then I unplugged my line to my ISP.
So my house WiFi was still up and active, but no Internet.

Then of course I moved around in front of Alfred.

The complete downside to this is nothing was recorded!

If you consider burglars, quite often they might cut the power to the house, which means no internet and no surveillance.

One of the huge advantages to using old phones is the battery.
So during an outage, motion sensing can continue.
Recording of videos to the phone can continue.
When power is restored, Alfred could do something with the video it just recorded (essentially sync all recordings to the cloud).

The way it is now, leaves a huge gap in surveillance.

What I would like to see is:

1. First record to the device
  2. After recording sync to a specified location (NAS, Cloud, …).

Thank you.
David

Hi @dfishburn.spammed,

Thank you so much for running a test and letting us know! You have pointed out one of the major potential issues with Smart Home. As developers who are trying to develop cutting-edge technology, we are well aware that the biggest hurdle we face is the limits of infrastructure/environment.

We have looked into the possibility, and we would like to do something about it.

That being said, all the home security systems on the market require at least electricity, if not WiFi. IF the power gets cut, even traditional CCTVs would fail. Most research suggests that burglars look for easy targets. How easy is it to cut the power supply to a house? We really aren’t so sure.

Moreover, Alfred is an app. We have to work with devices and operating systems that we have no control over. We can’t know how much storage space there is left on any particular device. Even if we make video-streaming and saving to devices possible, a large part of that will depend on available storage space.

How about this? Like you said, phone batteries might be able to last a while. If you are going away, why not get a SIM card with mobile Internet for your Camera devices? That way, they will stay connected even in the worst case scenario.

Do you think it is a viable temporary solution?

That being said, all the home security systems on the market require at
least electricity, if not WiFi. IF the power gets cut, even traditional
CCTVs would fail. Most research suggests that burglars look for easy
targets. How easy is it to cut the power supply to a house? We really
aren’t so sure.

There are many reasons rather than just a burglar cutting power to the house.

1. In summer time especially cities can implement rolling “brown outs” when there is too much strain (usually with air conditioners) on the electrical grid. This has happened a few times in my area now. Burglars can use these as opportunities.

2. I have to say my ISP is extremely good, but I will still get 5-6 days a year when my internet is gone for several hours (perhaps over a day at times).

3. The router in my house might hang up (I do have to reboot it every couple of months), bugs exist in all software.

4. I don’t know who hosts Alfred’s cloud, but Amazon and Google have had outages at their huge data centers too. Look at that huge outage Netflix had (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/20/aws_database_outage/).

In all these cases, we loose any motion detection. By simply recording to the device, if no internet is available, we handle all these cases.

Moreover, Alfred is an app. We have to work with devices and operating
systems that we have no control over. We can’t know how much storage
space there is left on any particular device. Even if we make
video-streaming and saving to devices possible, a large part of that
will depend on available storage space.

Since I am not the only person requesting this, other people are looking for it too. Simply make it an option. If I choose it I am telling Alfred there should be enough space to store a recording. If there isn’t it is my fault not Alfred’s.

I am not suggesting we store all the recordings on the device. After the recording finishes, sync it up to the cloud and then delete it from the device (could be another option). That way the cloud has what you need, the device storage is maintained and we can handle the cases where for whatever reason we cannot reach the cloud (as there can be many).

How about this? Like you said, phone batteries might be able to last a
while. If you are going away, why not get a SIM card with mobile
Internet for your Camera devices? That way, they will stay connected
even in the worst case scenario.

This is a good suggestion with caveats.

In order to have data on a phone, you usually have to pay monthly fees. Data fees are expensive compared to talk time and SMS messages.

I have a mobile provider in my area (7-11) which offers quite a good deal, which I was considering. When you purchase a SIM with them and put money on it, that money will expire after 365 days. Most pay you as go plans these days are a monthly fee, so you have to pay every 30 days whether you use the network or not. This can get expensive, especially if you have multiple cameras. They way I wanted to use this was send an SMS message when there is motion and no internet.

This has a number of benefits:

1. Cell fees are basically just your 911 (or emergency) monthly fees (around $2 / month)
  2. If your internet never goes down, you never send an SMS message, so no additional fees as you never used the network.
  3. If your internet does go down, and there was no activity at the house, no SMS messages, so no fees.
  4. If you internet does go down, and there is motion, you will receive an SMS which would cost you 15 cents.

Just options and management with multiple cameras.

I was going to suggest this feature to Alfred for possible inclusion in the product, but I put that on the back burner when I discovered Alfred wont work without internet.

Thank you for your interest.

David

Flawless. Seriously love this app and seriously LOVE the answer.

How do i get to the cloud saved items from my laptop without having to send a link
there is no button i can find about cloud storage.

Hi @donaldjj0,

Thank you for reaching out!

Please check out Alfred’s video-saving guide here:

Hope this helps!

I love your system, My camera caught the thief while he stole. the camera. I didn’t save the video. It was 2 weeks ago. I played it a few time from the web viewerI is there anyway to recover it from your cloud? my pc? my phone? I recovered the camera. but I need the video for the sheriff’s dept. I can pay $25-$50 for the recovery.thanks Frank…

Frank, my understanding is that if when you were viewing the videos you did not create the permanent link, then the videos in question would have been automatically deleted after 7 days as stated above. May not be of much help this time if you didn’t create a permanent link but should definitely help you if (and God forbid) you should have another incident in the future. Make a permanent link if it should happen again and you’ll be able to retrieve the videos for as long a time as you choose to keep them.
I know this probably isn’t the answer you want but hope it helps. As they said above though, they have no access to your credentials or your Google account so they have no way of retrieving any videos once they’ve been automatically deleted.

Thank you, Sunny, for responding to users. It’s one thing to develop a good app. It’s another to develop a live feedback mechanism between the developer and the end user. Your responses are very much appreciated.

However, just like difhburn.spammed and other contributors to this thread, I feel that the good app is rendered obsolete by omitting one very simple but very significant aspect; LOCAL STORAGE capability. Especially in my part of the world where internet accessibility is reserved for a few, meaning it is very expensive, local storage would do a million users more good than the only option they’re left with - cloud storage. The last thing one would want to stream online is a picture not exceeding 5MB. How then shall we expect majority of the people limited to a 256kb/s bandwith upload any file larger than 200MB to the web? You now understand that without the ability to retrieve and view recorded files (picture and video) locally renders a very good app useless?

I believe that Alfred can make “Record To Device Storage” possible. Users can buy SD cards if their inbuilt storage is not sufficient, which is a one-off expense as opposed to hefty monthly bills to ISPs. A service they can’t afford to begin with.

PLEASE, MAKE AUTOMATIC STORAGE TO DEVICE POSSIBLE.

Thank you.

Hi @kefaouma,

Thank you so much for such well-reasoned feedback!

Storage is something that we are continuously looking into here at Alfred. For the moment, local storage is not yet a possibility because some old phones have limited memory. If Alfred uploads all the Motion Events to the device, chances are the space will run out much too soon. Your SD card idea is brilliant, but not all devices allow users to set where certain data goes.

Still, we would like to offer more alternatives in the future. Please continue to support Alfred and stay tuned!

Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions/feedback in the future!

Thank, Sunny, for your prompt reply.

If I can remember correctly, I think about 2 years back it was possible to save files to device. I might be wrong.

Notwithstanding, I believe not all Alfred users are using very old hardware. There are millions of users, I believe who use devices with good enough memory and memory expandability. Given the rate of obsolescence in tech world, I bet we have more devices with more than 4GB internal memory than there are the 256MB feature phones.

MKV is more stable and better compressed than 3GP, MP4, AVI, etc. Though the format may not be supported by old hardware, it is very much supported by hardware that’s as old as 4 years (Galaxy Tab 1). Besides that, I do not wish to record an 8hr footage but only motion triggers. Where I stay, there isn’t much activity to fill my memory with 4GB of MKV in a 12hr day.

Thus, why not satisfy both market niches: old devices and new devices? Have two options for storage:-

1. Save to device/SD Card for those whose internet access is significantly limited. I fall in this category as are another 1 billion people. Perhaps it is only IP Webcam that supports storage to device.

2. Save to cloud (Drive, Dropbox, etc).

Gneiss Day,

Kefa Ouma

With this local storastorage how do I get to it so I may retrieve my videos?

Hi @nowfrazzled,

Thanks for reaching out!

Your Events are temporarily stored on Alfred’s cloud for 7 days. If you want to keep any of them permanently, please check out the following two links:

Hope this helps!

Help,

I caught a culprit. I filmed live, pressing 30 "on the small camera, and then I saw the small circle, ok BUT you say a star symbol next to the 3 points above I, I do not have this symbol .

How do you please ???

Thank you