Uncover the mystery for developers: Continuous recording or motion detection videos?

Hi @thanosdestro,

Thank you SO much for the support and feedback!!!

We are definitely thinking about making longer recording time a possibility in the future, but it will take some time. We’ll definitely keep you posted when that happens!

In the meantime, keep us posted if you have more feedback or anything to share!

2 Likes

I would like a longer recording once triggered say one minute. An optional 3 minute record time without holding the record button down would be helpful. I use this as a nanny cam.
A zoom in feature would be nice on the mobile phone app.

1 Like

Hi @panaturenut,

Thank you for your feedback!

Both longer recording time and zoom are in our development plan. Please continue to support Alfred and stay tuned!

1 Like

I use my cam to watch my kids when im unable to while outside playing i had to download another app for continuous recording. The best thing anout the other app is that i save all recordings to my Dropbox or google drive accounts saves me time and money while knowing the recordings are safe and i can go back over them at my own convenience I hope that may be an option in the future

3 Likes

I think the way Alfred is set up to only record motion events is absolutely perfect! I’ve tried other security cameras and it was my biggest complaint, that I would never have the time to actually go back and look through all of it! And plus, the amount of storage that would require and battery is not reasonable to me.

2 Likes

would be handy if someting needs to be checked when movement is constant so motion detection wouldnt be useful

2 Likes

my truck has been broken into a few times so I have my camera pointed out the window. without continuous recording, this app is useless. I’m on the second floor and the app isn’t going to pick up motion as the motion will be in the parking lot and not in my house where the camera is

2 Likes

Continuous recording. That way you can hear what’s happening even if you can’t see it. And so you don’t over clutter storage you should be able to delete unnecessary videos

Hi @121687butterworth,

Thanks for pitching in!

While the option to record continuously is not available for the moment, you can delete the videos you don’t want anytime!

Please find out how here:

https://alfred.camera/forum/t/can-i-delete-events-from-my-phone/641/1

Hope this helps!

I think recording options such as record for specifically selected lengths of time after motion is detected would be a great feature. This would be very useful for recording activity of animals in the yard as once they stop moving, perhaps to eat a tasty snack left to attract them, the video drops off.

1 Like

A buffering feature that would record the previous 5, 10 or 20 seconds of video before a motion detection event would be great! Especially useful for monitoring things as they approach the camera but may not be close enough to trigger the motion detection at first.

2 Likes

I have a taxi business and we have very few robberies however we do get customer complaints saying that a driver said something that upset them. It would be nice to be able to bring up a certain date and time to see what was done or said. Also I have seen other systems that want to use the device storage if it could be stored on a cloud this app would be perfect for my use.

1 Like

Thanks for response although I didn’t see it for quite a long time (today) since I posted. I didn’t respond to the question just to get advertisments deleted, but I certainly would appreciate that as I visit ALFRED nearly everyday, (mostly to check on my dogs) and yes, sometimes they could be quite annoying. so if you wouldn’t mind…it would make me love Alfred even that much more! (and I don’t like guys, LOL) thanks Renee!
P.S. I tell everybody about what a great site this is, and how it can help them! LarryBiv

I would love to see an option for continuous recording, because of you’re beginning to watch what someone is doing while in your home you will want to watch all of their actions to possibly see where things were taken out what was actually done. Also if the motion detection recordings were up to 5 minutes long that would be really helpful. You could send the initial 5 second recording of the beginning of detection to alert us when it occurred and then record 5 minute increments.

1 Like

Hi Kayla,

Thank you for making a wish here at Alfred Center! We appreciate your feedback.

For the moment, Alfred offers Motion Detection that automatically captures video clips when movement is detected. Alfred’s Motion Detection algorithm depends on a variety of factors, including the size of the object on the screen, the speed at which it moves, ambient light change, as well as the color.

You are always welcome to send us a link to a Motion Event or even a photo of what you see on the Viewer. That way, we can give you more specific advice. In the meantime, experimenting with different setups could make a big difference.

We will definitely look into the possibility of continuous recording. Please stay tuned!

1 Like

Clearly not everyone is a security guard and needs to look at complete sets of video, but sometimes you need the context before/after motion is detected for an arbitrary length of time.

One example is due to the reportedly in research/development of the “Sound Detection” feature. As it stands now, if a dog is in the house crying, but not moving, you won’t know about it. Personally, I’m using the software to help monitor stress levels of foster dogs in a crate to determine how severe their separation anxiety is. Setting up my camcorder, and transferring the video off the SD card is a pain in the neck, and it also can only record up to an hour and a half-ish with of video.

Another example could be if you’re monitoring an intersection visible from your house, and want to provide statistics about usage/congestion/etc to city council to take some action about signage or something like that.

Also in the legal scenario others have mentioned, you need may need arbitrary duration, not 5-90 seconds of video, and hope to get lucky that you captured what is required.

As a software developer, I can understand wanting to avoid constantly uploading and storing large videos on your servers. It chews up bandwidth, and would require a dramatic increase of storage space, for potentially not a lot of use. Clearly this is undesirable.

What if you offered a separate software package that could be installed on Windows/Linux/Mac/etc, that could act as a passive video client to the Alfred recording software that runs on the same network? Given that you seem to support multiple-simultaneous clients already, this would be just one more, that happens to render video to disk, instead of the screen.

A manual labor example of this would be to use the “IP Webcam” App + VideoLan media player setup to record video and store it on disk. Users could specify where they want to drop the videos, be it on a local hard drive, NFS, remote SFTP, etc. Files could be created in 1 hour increments or something configurable like that.

This proposal would give power users who want this functionality the ability to store as much video content as they have space available, with zero impact on your cloud.

Additionally, from the Alfred App, you could potentially have the software make these videos viewable/indexable on the portal if the App is on the same network as the software package, or even expose them via UPNP/HTTP if on a remote network.

MB

2 Likes

@62306e65 this sounds really interesting and informative I’m sure that Alfred admins will read this with intent. The main issue is that not all users are inspired to delve deeper than click and go which is what Alfred is trying to achieve. The thought of setting up port forwarding or running scripts or using the keyboard to type Linux commands is out of the learning curve of many users. I really like these ideas and have been looking at setting up something similar but at the moment by devices are separated so I need to access them through different methods but would be nice to collate them all to one program.
Kind regards.

To my opinion an option to have a continuous recording would be great.

There are cases that this would be ideal. Motion detection could miss many important details. Specially on low light situations.
Sometimes delayed response.
If the subject is a bit far it may not trigger the recording

On a security perspective, details are important Even the small ones. A simple shade of shadow might even prove something. Motion detection are great, it eliminates unneeded recording but definitely has its limits.

1 Like

Sooooo… any updates on this?

I would like to be able to set specific times where recording is longer once motion is Detected to capture acts.

Currently, a bozo likes to flash the headlights to trigger the motion detect and then drives off 50m away but the real act is after the recording time, 50m away.

No. We dont think 24/7 recording is necessary. No one has the time to go back and watch hours of nothing. Thank you.