Save Data & Energy with Alfred's Remote Switch!

topic_webapp
topic_android

We used to say Alfred is an app that is limited by the old phones it runs on. While that will always be true, we are constantly listening to Superhero feedback and trying to challenge the limits!

This time we took on the concept of switching the Camera device on/off from the Viewer and developed a Remote Switch!

Remote Switch is a great data/energy-saving mechanism that’s perfect for people who want to periodically check on their pets/kids/house. However, please note that if your Camera Phone has been disabled by the switch, Motion Detection won’t work.

Here is how it works:

Tap on the wheel on each Camera thumbnail:

Slide the switch from “Enabled” to “Disabled:”

You will see this icon as well as “This Camera is turned off” from your Viewer:

Enable the Camera anytime you want by tapping on the thumbnail:

For Superheroes in the Trust Circle, please remember only the owner of the Camera can disable/enable the Camera.

Again, we would like to remind you NOT to press the power key or home key now that Alfred offers yet another great energy-saving option!

Need further assistance? Go back to the list of frequently asked questions, check out the tips, start a new thread, or fill out the issue report form!

Prortecting Your Family Can Be This Easy!

Build your FREE home security system by downloading Alfred:

Failing Battery and using phones without battery
TIP: Battery getting too hot? Swelling?
Overheating issue
Can my camera record without wifi or hotspot when I'm away
Meus Videos so duram 5 segundos
Must-have Home Security App to Protect the Family
All about Motion Detection/Notifications
Excessive Data Usage
How do we keep from burning up the batteries overtime in the cameras?
My camera is been running since 1 month perfectly . Now I'm far away from home. And it is giving 7007 error. Is there any chance to wake up the camera from here? When I press circle, it will open full screen mode instead of waking up camera. Plz help
Data usage when camera remotely turned off
How do i check the CamaraI only use one phone though ? Would it still work? How do you stop the camera?
Remote Control Is A Miserable Failure
Both camera and cell phone are on auto rotate but the image is always 180 degrees off
Not for the iPhone 5!
Seeking Tips/Tricks On Storing Device Outside
Best telephon for alfred app? (seriuous problem with phone overheating)
How do I turn the camera off?
Alfred Causes Cell Phone to Use 1Mb Data Every 30 Minutes
Is there a way to only have the camera record when I check it? The battery doestrogen not last long and I don't want to leave it plugged in due to the overheating issue. I just want to be able to check on my cats a couple times a day while away
7 Simple Tips to Stay Cool
Both camera and cell phone are on auto rotate but the image is always 180 degrees off
Turn camera on and off from my phone
Question about share circle
Motion detection masks
Should be a option to only hear the sounds
Noise detector/alert
Economizar bateria
Hello, der Akkuverbrauch ist viel zu hoch. Wie kann man das softwaremäßig reduzieren? Habe ein HTC one M7. VG
Camera Offline?
Alfred sleep on low power
What are battery push notifications and how can I turn them off?
Remote switch doesn't work - Version 1.10.7(build 692) on IOS devices
How to extend camera phone camera battery life
Camera end data
How to turn Alfred app on and off both on the camera and the viewer
Audio not working on live feed
Data use of Alfred
Remote switch
Camera phone on 3g, can you have the camera phone connected by 3g and if so how much data is used on motion detection standby?
Quick Access enable/disable, admin trusted circle, low light bug
How do i deactivate alfred
Why is my Camera Phone warm to the touch?
When I turn off the camera from the app in the viewer, it stops recording? Or it is only off in the app but recording?
Does my Camera Unit need to be plugged in?
Sin Bateria no funciona
How do i turn on camera
Turning off camera phone
Keeping Phone used as camera plugged in
Consumo dati
Español: Preguntas más frecuentes
Hi. How do I switch camera online. It doesn't allow.me to slide the camera online. Thanks
Cambio de reproductor a camara desde una pc
Turn on/off camera remotely
Can I remotely pause camera?
How to turn off the app. by remote ((Viewer)
Mobile data consumption
What's New for Alfred Android 1196?
Viewer not recording motions
Does the motion detection use data?
Battery heating up and not charging correctly
Add an icon to turn off camera using the viewers phone
Access my remote pad
Spread the Love: Recommend Alfred!
Robo del visor
Phone battery
Disable a camera temporarily
Leaving phone plugged for weeks?
Surriscaldamento
Problem with stupid power saver mode!
Mi cel se keda prendido cuando despierto la cámara
Spread the Love: Recommend Alfred!
Bulging batteries
I'm confused about a couple things (app restart and settings on camera phone)?
Swollen battery
뷰어폰에서 카메라 끄기
Fire danger?
Bulging batteries
Start the camera from viewer?
Motion sensing doesn't work for me
New User - Playing around
Câmera visível
Experiencias
Mobile died
Porque cuando está grabando video de 30 segundos hace un espacio de 10 minutos y sigue grabando después y no sé lo que pasó en ese lapso de 10 minutos
Suggestions Please
Question about power
Improvement
How do I turn the camera off?
Old phone, power saving options
Turn cameras on on the home page
How do I can disconnect all the cameras when I'm back home?
Camera function
All about Motion Detection/Notifications

The remote switch doesn’t work as advertised. I disabled the camera from my phone but I can still view it from my computer and so can people in my friends circle. And since it was still on after I disabled it, all my prepaid data was used up. I will cancel this upgrade before my monthly premium expires.

Hi @joedrives11,

Thank you for your feedback!

I am sorry to hear Remote Switch doesn’t seem to be working for you. Do you see this icon at all after you have disabled your Camera?

Also, would you please update Alfred on your Camera devices? They are both still running quite an old version, which is never optimal.

Please keep me posted!

The Remote Switch doesn’t work. You can switch it to Disable but it’s still view-able from any other device…running down all your data.

Hi @joedrives11,

Please update Alfred on all your devices (some of your Cameras are still running a rather old version) and let me know if you see the icon in the screenshot I posted last time. Nobody is supposed to view the Camera when it is turned off. Something must have gone wrong here, and I’d like to help you figure it out!

Thank You for implementing this great feature!
I since the switch is in I suggest also following extra features :

1. thermal shutdown with either notification or not. i envision it as option allowing choosing temperature at wchich device turns into “disabled” mode. this option can be ofcourse more complex - allowing setting of critical temperature at which device tries to use more tricks to survive, like enabling airplane mode.
    also notification options can be more complex - f.e. extreme temperature can be considered either normal quirk of old phone or a signal that something is wrong, like fire breaking out.

2)users of devices overheating by their design or location might be also happy of wakeup timer waking up device in user defined periods for user defined time just to detect motion.

Hey @chaoscrawler,

Thank you so much for joining us at Alfred Center and coming up with awesome ideas!

Sooo here’s the thing: Google did equip Android 5 and up with the capacity of detecting battery temperature. However, the safety mechanism lies more with each smartphone manufacturer than app developers, like Alfred. What you have described might be something that Smart Home integration can achieve in the future, but for now we aren’t quite there yet!

You can however, install an app that restarts your device at specific times and enable Alfred’s Launch at Reboot:

Do you think this might help?

My phone I’m using for my camera… the battery runs down way to fast.

Thanks am still lost on some

Video cameras and wifi together can draw a lot of electricity from a battery. Sometimes faster than a charger can recharge. Especially older phones with older batteries (low charge cycle left). It may be worth it to replace the old battery. Check to see if your phone has a “turbo” charging feature. That means it can use a regular charger (either wall outlet or USB) or a faster “turbo” charging feature (different adaptor). Not all phones have this but it can make it charge much faster. Also, using a 2.1v rather than a 1v USB adapter can help. Be sure to Check your phones capabilities from the manufacturer in a manual or on the Internet or forums. Wrong chargers or voltage adaptors can cause overheating. (Please be sure to recycle or dispose of batteries properly!)

Why can’t I view more than 3 cameras after updating alfred on my viewer phone?

Hi @rivergrn88,

Thank you for reaching out!

Which Camera can’t you see? Do you have access to it? Could you check if it is powered down, logged out, or disconnected?

Keep me posted!

I can see when motion takes video,but not live view

Hi @rivergrn88,

Thank you for reaching out!

Which Camera do you have this issue with? What do you see on the screen? Do you get an error code at all?

Can we record the footage for later viewing more than 15 sec?? As i want to use it as a cctv camera where we can access the footage later on.

Hi @obaid2014ahmad,

Thank you for reaching out to Alfred!

Alfred only records videos when movement is detected. The recording can be between 5 to 30 seconds long. You can find the recordings in your Event Book:

The Events are automatically deleted after 7 days. If there is anything you want to keep, please follow the instructions here:

Hope this helps!

oi eu gostei muito eu vou recomendar aos meus amigos

Can you use your computer as another viewer?

Hi @dnahebert,

Thank you for joining us at Alfred Center!

Yes you can! You can have as many Viewer/Camera devices as you want, so it’s 100% OK if you have a Viewer Phone as well as the WebViewer.

However, please note that for the moment, concurrent viewing isn’t available yet. To watch live feed on the WebViewer, you’d have to dismiss Alfred on your Viewer Phone first.

Hope this helps!

when data is on alfred.camera automatically online take it