Motion Detection too sensitive

I don’t know if this is a common problem, but the trouble I’m having is that the motion detection, even when set to “LOW” sensitivity, is still too sensitive. It seems to detect just very subtle changes in light in the room, for example, so I find a get a ton of false positive motion detection notifications all day long when there is literally nothing moving in the frame.

Is there a way to make the sensitivity even LOWER than LOW ?

Thanks!

Chris

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to Alfred!

Alfred’s Motion Detection algorithm decides if there has been “movement” by comparing one frame with the next. As a result, light/shadow changes could indeed trigger recording.

Alfred is dedicated to making the Motion Detection algorithm smarter by detecting specific movement. Before that becomes a reality, could you try a different setup? Move your Camera a bit farther to the place you would like to monitor.

Give this a go and let us know how it works out!

Hi Luke,

Would it be possible for you to make a setting that is even less sensitive than the current lowest setting, or maybe even allow me to choose the percentage that the image has to change in order to trigger the motion detection?

Right now, at the lowest sensitivity, literally 95% of my motion triggers are false positives, triggered by the smallest changes in light.

2 Likes

Hi @cadill,

Thank you for reaching back!

That’s odd to receive lots of false alarm since you have set the sensitivity to low. We will look into the possibility to make an even lower sensitivity. In the meantime, could you try one thing for us? Go to your Camera Phone, tap the Settings icon on the bottom left corner, and then turn on Continuous Focus to see whether the situation gets better.

Hope it helps!

1 Like

I am encountering the same issue with too sensitive detection and lost detection. I put my phone behind the window to monitor outside. With trees moving due to wind blow, motion is detected on this un-important event, while real people getting close to my house are not detected from time to time. It would be better if I can select which area in the frame to be monitored.

Hi Lucian,

Thanks for validating my concern–I’m still having a lot of trouble with Alfred giving me false positives on motion detection. It think my trouble is caused more by lighting changes than by actual motion.

I’m still hopeful that the Alfred folks will change the software to allow me to specify exactly what percentage of change in the picture constitutes motion. Or maybe they just need to make their motion detection algorithm a bit more sophisticated.

Maybe an “even lower” sensitivity setting in the meantime?

Lucian–for the trees, have you considered trying to put some paper over the top half of your camera to block the part of your picture where the trees are moving?

Cadill

Hi @lucian.liu.tw @cadill,

Thanks for providing your feedback!

Your inputs are very crucial to us. You are also always welcome to send us a link to a Motion Event or even a photo of what you see on the Viewer. That way, we can give you more specific advice. In the meantime, experimenting with different setups could make a big difference.

Our engineer team never stops working on making the Motion Detection algorithm smarter. If we figure something out, we will try our best to present it to you as soon as possible. As for the features you mentioned, including Motion Detection by Zones, Different Sensitivity Settings, and More Information regarding to Camera Phone, we will look into the possibilities in the future. Please stay tuned and continue to support Alfred!

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us. Let us know if you find out anything!

Hi Ricardo,
Thanks for the reply.
Here I share the link for you.

Who would expect tree moving would trigger motion detected?

Hi Lucian,

Thanks for providing the clip!

Alfred’s Motion Detection algorithm decides if there has been “movement” by comparing one frame with the next. As a result, the moving tree could indeed trigger recording. Could you try a different setup? Or put it somewhere else which is closer to the area you want to monitor?

Give this a go and let us know how it works out!

Luke,

Here is my example: https://alfred.camera/tv/HyY_hpbS7

I see no movement in this example at all. Yet it triggers the motion detection alert, even on the lowest sensitivity.

What is causing “motion” in this video?

Thanks.

Hi @cadill,

Thanks for providing the video. It seems like the light/shadow changes triggered this recording.

We’re currently working on making the Motion Detection algorithm smarter by detecting specific movement. It takes time to plan and do it right. However, we will present it to you as soon as possible. Before that becomes a reality, please try a different setup or put it somewhere else to see if the situation gets better.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please stay tuned and continue to support Alfred!

Ricardo,
I changed the angle of my camera so that FOV of my interest can be centered. Now it looks better than before, but sometimes tree moving (still in the view, but along side) or brightness of the sun still triggers the detection.
I am looking forward to better improvement and smarter detection.

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I didn’t feel my question needed a new thread.

My question… until recently there was a camera sensitivity setting in Alfred on the camera phone. Now (Jul 8, 2019) that setting is gone.

I ask because I recently have experienced the sensitivity being too high, and getting notifications for shadows moving in the room via the sun. And I had remembered seeing a sensitivity setting, but when I went to find it… it was gone.

Can anyone explain why it was removed?

Hi,

You can actually set the Sensitivity on the Viewer phone:

Let me know if you need further assistance.

I don’t have that setting at all on my viewer phone.

I just realized that the setting is only there when the camera is on. It was off when I took the above screenshot.

1 Like

Also… after setting the sensitivity to low it stopped the notifications for shadows moving via the sun, and it detected me when I got home from work. Great! I have found the sweet spot for this.

Glad to hear that the issue has been resolved. I hope Alfred has been working well for you now! Feel free to contact us at any time if you have any further question/feedback.

The questions above seemed to miss the reason I am having the same problem. On the camera device, I repeatedly set the Motion Sensitivity to Low, but it always immediately reverts back to High, giving me about 45 events every half hour – mostly tree leaves in the breeze.

The instruction above is to set the viewer device to Low. Is that in conjunction with the camera device? If so, I can’t reach it & control the camera device now. I’ve just changed the viewer device setting to Low but am still getting a lot of events.

Is there an order in which one must be set before the other, or is it simultaneously? Thank you.