Excessive Data Usage

It would be really helpful if you’d provide the following information so our engineer colleagues can identify and solve your problem sooner.

Which device has the problem? Viewer and Camera
Device Model Name: SMG935A (Galaxy s7 edge)
OS Version: Android 6.0.1
AppVersion:

I am noticing anywhere from 3-4 GB being used monthly. While my Viewer is not on WiFi. (my camera remains on WiFi 24/7. This is foreground data and not background data. Is there anyway to reduce Data besides the obvious use of WiFi? Again this is only data used in the foreground, (when actively using the app) @sunny

Hi @palmerk0802,

Thank you for reaching out!

3-4 GB per month is definitely possible depending on how often you start live view sessions, receive Motion Events, and so on.

Did you notice a significance after you upgraded to Alfred Premium? To lower data consumption, you can disable your Camera devices from your Viewer:

However, please bear in mind that a disabled Camera won’t capture any movement. In other words, it depends on what you use Alfred for!

Yes and no to your data after upgrade question. I know live streaming of any type will use a good chunk of data. My next question to you is… Does the new HD video, also increase data consumption, as it would with other forms of life streaming (i.e. YouTube, Pandora, Spotify, etc.)?

Hey @palmerk0802,

Yes it does increase data consumption somehow, but the difference shouldn’t be drastic.

I purchased the upgrade. Using a Kindle HDX that works only on WiFi as the camera and a Samsung Note 4 as the receiver. Getting good results except using mobile data at great rate. Since am only using WiFi, I don’t understand why I’m using any mobile data at all. Can you help?

Hi @plboynton,

Thank you for reaching out to Alfred!

From what we can tell, once your Camera Phone disconnected with wifi temporarily, the Camera may connect to mobile data automatically. As a result, we suggest you deactivate Cellular Data or enable Airplane Mode while using Alfred to see whether the situation persists.

Hope it helps!

My camera is a wi-fi only tablet. The only device that can connect to the cellular network is the receiver.

Hi @plboynton,

Thank you for reaching back to us!

Your Viewer Phone and Camera Phone could both consume internet data while using Alfred. For example, when you watch motion event videos or enter Live session on your Viewer Phone, you will use mobile data accordingly.

Hope it helps!

That doesn’t make sense to me. There’s no way my camera, which is a Kindle tablet which operates only on wireless and has no way to connect to mobile data, could use data. And why would the viewer consume data if it is accessing the camera only on wireless? Also, the only thing we use it for is live access.