Can I use my old USB webcams with Alfred?

I think this would be an awesome idea and would love it if Alfred could find a way to make it happen! This app has already helped me tremendously with neighborhood youth stealing off of my carport! But even old phones aren’t cheap, I tried using an older lg Optimus but the memory issues kept Alfred from working same problem with a huwaii but I already own several webcams and have at least 3 working computers I could use. Please make it happen! Thanks for creating Alfred!

yes love to link usb cameras

There are alternatives which are available for PC/webcam use. I know of at least two which are free.

[ RE: alfred.com’s question; … do you ’ think making old USB cameras compatible with Alfred a good idea? '… ]

Making many, many more device’s cameras compatible with Alfred is always a great idea! And Yes, not only Old USB cams but also the newer ones, ie:Smart HDTV’s Built-in & USB Video/Skype webcams would really be AWESOME!

didnt relize I could talk to people

Great what a beautiful idea

คุนชื่ออะรัย ขอเบรติดต่อที

I dont see why not I have done it in the past I think if you have the disc for it you can link it to Alfred.

I am currently using Alfred on my computer that has one of these webcams connected to it. Im using NoxPlayer which is an android emulator that uses webcam to emulate as smart phone camera. No problems with it.

2 Likes

None of the free PC/webcam are as easy to setup as Alfred. Plus, no one offers free upload to cloud and storage.

1 Like

@trsiddiqui1989 with Alfred any loss of power or internet Alfred becomes as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle. Also you are using a device that isn’t designed to be plugged in 24/7
Regards.

umm… YES that would be freaking amazing!!!

1 Like

Well, that is true of any electronic device. But the last time there was a power outage here was in 2006. But if you are comparing Alfred to offline monitoring systems, keep in mind that in case of a break in the burgular would have access to the system and you might lose all the videos. This is why cloud systems are so popular these days. And i dont understand what you meant by “devices arent supposed to be plugged in 24/7”. Desktops are supposed to be plugin 24/7, so are webcams. If you are talking about phones then most phones used with alfred have already lived their life. So at worst you are deteriorating battery life which should not go completely bad for years even if you keep it plugged in. I have been using Alfred on 2 phones for about a couple years, 24/7. And over the time i have added 2 more phones and 2 desktops.

2 Likes

@trsiddiqui1989 I’m not disagreeing with you I’m just saying horses for courses. I have Alfred running monitoring my front door but I don’t rely on it. The secure cloud storage for free is nice but I have that set up on my own secure cloud service with my swaan system, I’m a belts and braces type of person.
Regards.

1 Like

yes please investigate

1 Like

Excellent use for equipment that would normally be tossed in the rubbish bin.

1 Like

Or sold on the second hand market or ecologically recycled like any good human being would do.

1 Like

Funny you should ask Sunny, being that I just came across my old web cam (very similar to the one pictured) and immediately wondered if I could use it for Alfred. Long story short, Yes I think it would be a great addition to the Alfred arsenal. Thanks for asking.

Would be a GREAT idea, along with multiple cam viewing and the ability to rearrange the cams on a page