Cam keeps focusing on the window and blinds, not outside!

It would be really helpful if you’d provide the following information so our engineer colleagues can identify and solve your problem sooner.

Which device has the problem? camera
Device Model Name: an old LG phone, no idea
OS Version:
AppVersion:
Its not necessarily the cam, its the focus wants to see the crud on the window and the blind I have to point through. Without getting a really high watt bulb outside it won’t focus half the time but when theres movement out there it will, also having a problem with all three cams not sensing motion fast enough and cars, people move through the field of vision before they even get recorded! The front cam will sense the bamboo waving outside all day and keeps recording but will miss a car pulling in…

Build your FREE home security system by downloading Alfred:

Hey Howard,

Thank you for visiting Alfred Center!

When the auto-focus is incorrect, usually starting a live-viewing session helps. Trying a different setup such as putting the Camera somewhere else could also make a big difference. Give this a go and let us know how it works out!

Alfred’s Motion Detection algorithm decides if there has been “movement” by comparing one frame with the next. We are dedicated to making the Motion Detection algorithm smarter by detecting specific movement. Before that becomes a reality, you are always welcome to send us a link to a Motion Event or even a photo of what you see on the Viewer. That way, we can give you more specific advice.

In the meantime, we will look into the possibility of manual focus to prevent an issue like this from happening again. Please continue to support Alfred and stay tuned!

It seems the basic problem is it is only registering motion in the center of the field, not near the edges, for instance it completely misses cars entering the property at the top right of the frame because they turn and leave the frame at the bottom right before the motion sensor is even engaged. Same with the other 2 cams, back door and interior. Someone can walk clear through the entire big long room of the house and go into one of the bedrooms and the motion sensor doesn’t even see them. It does however cut off often after 5 seconds or so despite there being continuous motion in the room. Other times it will record at the front door for up to 2 minutes at a time when there’s nothing there besides some bamboo leaves moving in the wind at the bottom or middle of the frame. If cars don’t register at the top right then the bamboo waving there shouldn’t be engaging the motion sensor either but somehow it seems to be that. Also people can enter the front steps and not even be seen by the motion sensor sometimes. It seems to concentrate on the middle of the frame and not anywhere else.

Hey Howard,

Thanks for letting us know!

We will report this issue to our engineering team and see if they can identify it. Before they get the conclusion, could you please try two things for us?

1. Alfred’s Motion Detection doesn’t work when there is a live session going on. If you end the live-viewing session and try again, Motion Detection should work.
  2. Put the Camera at somewhere else and make sure the image you see on the preview screen is fine. If the preview screen looks abnormal, you could reinstall Alfred or restart the phone to see if the situation gets better.

Also, please take a screenshot of your Camera phone when it’s working or send us a link to a Motion Event. In that way, we can give your more specific device.

Keep us posted!

My name is Joey. I am a monthly subscriber, but considering to cancel because of the following problem. I just started my subscription recently. The problem I’m having is that the camera keeps recording the moving blinds that are a few feet away from the camera even though I have the camera settings to low sensitivity and motion detection settings to persons only. I can’t put the phone in front of the blinds on the window seal because I live in Palm Springs, CA and it gets to hot and the phone will fry like the last phone. Is there a different setting to fix this issue. If the feature for motion settings is persons only, then it should record persons only.

1 Like

Yes one solution is to sell your old phone and cancel your subscription and buy a proper IP camera with the funds. You can pick up a decent standalone IP camera for £25 or less with all the bells and whistles like proper IR night vision and Pan and tilt, Notification and two way Comms and no chance of it blowing up or burning your property down. Most devices come with cloud storage subscription service available but you will have to check before you purchase.