Android N - inconsistent notifications when returning home

Hey @TBolt!

Thank you so much for reaching out!

How about when your Viewer leaves the home WiFi in the morning? Do you get notifications consistently? How about other types of notifications (like battery notifications)?

We’d really appreciate it if you could keep us posted. We don’t have an Android N device at the moment, so we are relying on you to provide us with more information!

1 Like

Hi, Sunny.

Most of the time, I do receive the notification when I leave the home network area. I will keep tabs on how many times I do or do not receive the notification when I leave.

The Moto X 2014 hasn’t had any battery issues or storage problems; so, I have not received those notifications.

I used the new notification options in Android N to block the battery warnings from Alfred on my old Asus Transformer tablet because Alfred always reports that the battery is not charging (not true; an old issue – not worried about it) – at the time, I did not know you folks had added the option to disable various notifications in the settings for Alfred (thank you for those options, though!) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @TBolt!

Thank you! We’d really appreciate it if you could keep an eye on the frequency and let us know!

1 Like

Sunny,

I started testing by simply disabling & re-enabling my WiFi on the viewer device. I am seeing the notifications consistently each time I turn my WiFi back on.

I may have been accidentally pressing the “Not Now” link each time Alfred’s notification asked me if I wanted to enable motion detection. The problem is that the notification arrives when I am already driving – making it much harder to deal with the notification.

This leads me to a previous request that I wish you folks would seriously consider: please give us a widget that lets us activate / disable motion detection when we want. This would allow us to manage the motion detection a lot easier and much safer (ie: before we start driving).

Thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Been having the same issue with wifi geo fencing, some times its ok and others its not working, but at the same time not sending out alerts of movement, only when one checks does it suddenly show massive movement.

1 Like

Hey @adlard.matthew,

Thanks for reaching out! This sounds like you muted the notifications by accident. Could you look into it? How can I mute Motion Detection notifications?

1 Like

Hey @jaylitten!

Thanks for getting back to us! Glad to hear the notifications are actually working as they should, but you have a great point there. We will look into the possibility of making turning MD on/off even easier than it is now.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have more questions or feedback!

1 Like

Ok been playing around and found that the mute option is not the issue, when one popped home it recognised Geo-Fence, and then later it did not.the mute option did not come up.

It would be good to have an Icon that is say a house with green/red or white/black option next to battery to allow users to set manually if not doing its self.

3 Likes

[edit]
of course, after I took the time to post the issue, I received the notification for the first time in a while.
I hope I figure out what’s triggering the issue, if it’s on my end.
[/edit ]

oOps … I’m not getting ANY reminders (to turn on / turn off motion detection) on my viewer device (Nexus 6P). I don’t know if the recent update to Nougat on the Nexus 6P is related.

Alfred notifications are not blocked on my Nexus 6P. Alfred notifications are set to appear silently – definitely not blocked, though.

On the camera device (Moto X 2014), the “Motion Detection Reminders” option is enabled.

Hey @jaylitten!

My bad, my bad, Shortly after I replied to your previous post, my colleagues informed me there is indeed a Motion Detection Reminder bug. It’s been fixed in the new update, which will roll out in a day or two.

So sorry about that! Please stay tuned, update Alfred, and the Reminder should go back to normal!

1 Like

Thank you for the new information. I look forward to trying the update.

1 Like

I updated both the camera device (Moto X 2014) and viewer device (Nexus 6P) recently – now, I’m not getting any notifications when I arrive/leave home. :grimacing:

Also, before the update, I noticed that the motion detection was not activated even though I pressed the appropriate button on the notification. I would get home and 1) not receive a notification to turn off motion detection, and 2) walk into the house only to find that motion detection on the camera device was not activated.

Thank you.

bonjours il serait bien de régler le problème des notifications car pas d’alerte quant il y a une détection cordialement

Hi @eric150920,

Thank you for reaching out!

From what we can see on the logs, all the notifications were successfully sent. Could you double-check to make sure your notifications are properly enabled?

I still know, with all my heart, that it would be better to give us a widget for turning on/off the motion detection on all available camera devices.

I wish this was something that Alfred would build finally.

2 Likes

Ever since I’ve been using this app (>1 yr now) this has been the most aggravating issue for me as well. The majority of the time, automatic on/off motion detection works great, but I’d say that at least 15% of the time it doesn’t work at all. And with 5+ cameras using this feature, it gets to be extremely frustrating when it doesn’t work & I have to manually go into each camera’s settings to turn it on/off.

A simple toggle on the main screen in the app, and/or a quick toggle widget would easily remedy this reoccurring issue. Just as long as ONLY the chosen “Smart Mode” cameras are affected by the toggles.

Personally, I’d love to see Smart Mode compatible with IFTTT. That way, all of this would be truly automatic & extremely reliable. It would really take Alfred to the next level.

Hey @motorcyclekopp,

Thanks for your support and feedback!

Do you think shutting notifications off from the main menu would help? Check out 2) in this post:

Also, double-check your Viewer device is properly connected to the Internet all the time. That might be why 15% of the time the Reminder isn’t working properly!

Hope this helps!

Yes I saw that post, but you also wrote there that doing so would “turn ALL notifications on/off regardless of individual device settings” -I always keep at least one of my cameras on motion detection 24/7, so that wouldn’t work for me. I just want control of the cameras that I have Smart Mode turned on for.

My viewer is my main cell phone that is always online via cellular connection and/or Wi-Fi non-stop. So I know that’s not the issue.

Hey @motorcyclekopp,

Thanks for the reply!

Alfred’s Motion Detection Reminder relies heavily on Google Cloud Messaging communication. Occasionally a message does get lost. We took a good look at your logs and saw that you actually have a 95% success rate with the Reminder. Have you always felt the success rate is lower, or is it a recent thing?

It’s always been an issue. It’s already happened 3 times this month alone. Sometimes I have to open the Alfred app for the notification to appear. But usually that doesn’t help. It’s especially annoying when I come home and all the motion detection alerts show up on my phone (showing me) because the on/off notification never showed up.

I have an OnHub router and I have it set up through IFTTT to send me a notification email that says “Welcome Home” whenever I connect to my router. I always (without fail) get the e-mail notification immediately when i connect. So you would think that the Alfred notification should appear around the same time that my OnHub e-mail shows up.