All about Motion Detection/Notifications

motion

home security system with Motion Detection

Has the difference between Motion Detection and notification ever confused you? Do you know there are multiple ways of switching them on and off? Do you know about Alfred’s Motion Detection Reminder? Brush up on your Motion Detection/notifications facts here!

We will assume you already know the basics about Motion Detection:

notifications:

as well as Motion Detection Reminder:

Our new interface has made switching both Motion Detection and notifications on/off easy. If you go through the main menu, you You can really feel the difference if you have multiple Camera devices.

In short, turn Motion Detection on if you want the movement to be recorded. However, if you only want to go through the Events afterwards instead of getting push notifications as they happen, turn notifications off. You can also temporarily mute them (How can I mute Motion Detection notifications?) if you don’t want to check your phone so often for the next few hours.

Need further assistance? Go back to the list of frequently asked questions, check out the tips, start a new thread, or email us at support@my-alfred.com!

Build your FREE home security system by downloading Alfred:

Motion detection on,s sensitivity to high, but not detecting
Why do I have to press the "record" button to hear a LIVE recording
Clear. Saw. Something on. Phone from alfed but. It. Did. Not record
Scheduled Motion Detection
Alerts, Charging, Icons
Can I manually change how long Alfred records the videos for?
How do i record?
How to i watch video
Motion detection on,s sensitivity to high, but not detecting
I've been with Alfred about 2 years. When I started I was able to record video. Why is this normal longer the case
Motion detection is not working in events
Motion detection keeps disabling
Motion sends me noteification after someone passes
Uncover the mystery for developers: Continuous recording or motion detection videos?
Option to record for longer once motion triggered
All videos don't have any move object captured
Scheduled on- off?
Surveillance in Your Pocket
Request: Motion Detector Activation
Viewer not recording motions
Thank you Alfred! I caught my prowler!
Apukanas@gmail.com
Important moments gone!
Motion detection is not working in events
Puedo grabar todo un día y luego reproducirlo?
Alarma en el dispositivo "camara"...no lo encuentro es posible ativarlo? o no tiene esa opcion
Emergency!
iOS 10.2 *no video over LTE issue*
After update in holiday on my smartphone I can't do active my camera in home
Can i save and record?
Record button
How can it record with out me doing it Manuel?3
False alarms outdoors
O stalei o Alfred no pátio dá empresa ele não detecta movimento a cerca de 10 metros porque?
Was ist motion detection? Wie funktioniert es?
Ayuda por favor
Full time recording
How do i turn on motion detector?
App open to capture motion detection?
One button enable/disable motion detection
Motion Detection isnt detecting anything unless really up close

Hello from Austria!
Alfred is really great but for my purpose something is missing. I would like to guard my horses at night. Motion detection is nice but costs a lot of data traffic. I use a SIM card and send the data via my mobile phone because there is no WiFi at the open stable (because its a stable!) This is quite expensive. So I try to switch on/off motion detection every evening/morning manually. It is not possible to use your Reminder because I do not live there (I told you it’s a stable). It would be great if the camera could save the videos (offline) and only send them on request. It also would be great to have a clock timer which switches the motion detection on and off.
Thank you for your great service!
Kind regards
Babs

Hey @barbara.szivacz,

Thank you so much for reaching out!

It is true that Alfred’s Motion Detection Reminder wouldn’t work if your Camera is not connected to WiFi. Do you need Motion Detection to be on the entire night? If not, you can try our Remote Switch:

We have given offline Motion Detection some thought, and we would like to make this feature available in the future. Please continue to support Alfred and stay tuned!

For some reason, I am no longer getting the reminder to enable motion detection. My camera is a Nexus 5, the viewer is a Nexus 5X. They are running different versions of Android, but the same version of Alfred. Any suggestions?

Hi @sneaky.recon,

Thank you for reaching out!

We have indeed noticed some abnormalities with Motion Detection Reminder recently. We are really sorry for the inconvenience! We are doing our best to look into the problem. Hopefully we’ll be able to fix it soon!

What’s the best way to setup the viewer phones if there’s two? My issue is that I receive motion detections when I’m not at home but my wife is (she’s trigger the camera’s motion detection). How should her phone be setup to also have the notification reminder window pop up to disable motion detection? Her phone doesn’t show any reminders and she does have the app installed. And then I have to mute multiple phones as she moves around the house and triggers them.

Also, is it possible to change the duration of muting? 1 hour and 8 hours is a big difference! :slight_smile:

I’m running Android phone (OnePlus 1) and she’s got an IPhone 7+. We both have my gmail account setup on both phones.

Thx!

Hi @vegamanx,

Thank you for joining us at Alfred Center!

Is Motion Detection Reminder enabled on your wife’s phone?

My advice is for you to ignore the Reminder when you leave the house. When she leaves the house, she can turn Motion Detection on when she receives the Reminder. That way, you will start getting notifications as well (in other words, don’t mute/turn off notifications on your phone).

Could you look into it and let me know if it helps?

Hi Sunny.

Yes, it is setup on both.
Now, I can’t seem to get that notification to show up when I got home so the sensors now detect both of us.

Her phone was never able to switch on and off the motion detection, just mine. It’s been that way since I stop Alfred a few months ago.

Hey @vegamanx,

Thank you for the reply.

Oops, sorry I didn’t make myself clear. You have to tap on the wheel on the Camera thumbnail to enable Motion Detection Reminder on each Camera. If your wife is logged in on the same account as yours, she should be able to change the settings as well. Would you be able to send me a screenshot of the settings she sees when she taps on the wheel of the camera thumbnail?

I am using iOS; since updating to Alfred 1.9.4 I don’t receive notifications. Motion detection recording is working. Notifications are on in cameras and viewer.

bump!

Hi @aheldman,

Thank you for reaching out!

Could you go to Settings – Alfred – Notifications, and make sure they are allowed on your Viewer Phone?

Please let me know if this resolves the issue!

Notifications are allowed. That’s not it.

Hi @aheldman,

Thanks for the reply.

We took a closer look. It seems like you muted the notifications from your old iPhone 6+, which is why you haven’t been receiving notifications from this particular Camera.

Could you check if that’s the case? Update Alfred on this device, re-enable notifications, and see if the problem persists.

Hope this helps!

Thanks but that’s not it either. There are periods of more than 24 hours where notification is on, motion detection recordings are made, but notifications are issued.

I have subsequently tried running the camera devices in guided access mode in case another app was interrupting them; that seems to cause a different issue which is that the camera Devices in guided access mode fail to reconnect when they lose wifi.

All in all Alfred seems like a good idea but not nearly stable enough to serve as a security system.

Hi @aheldman,

Thank you for the reply.

I am sorry to hear this doesn’t seem like the issue, either. I actually have an iOS Camera running in my place in Guided Access mode, and it is as stable as can be.

I’d encourage to keep experimenting with Alfred. There are many ways to switch notifications on/off. Maybe the setting isn’t quite right in one place.

Please keep me posted if you have further questions!

One camera keeps switching to a black picture – if I go to it and kill/restart the app, it works again.
Notifications are intermittent – no discernable reason why they stop.

Is motion detection only on from 7:00am to 5:00pm? We do not get motion detection on night time?

Hi @dekmund12,

Thank you for joining us at Alfred Center!

Are you monitoring an outdoor scene with only ambient light? If that’s the case, it is possible for Alfred to have problems detecting movement once the sun goes down. Please consider adding some light to the area as well as enabling Auto Low-Light Filter for better results at night:

Hope this helps!

Nice software but I get a lot of false alarm when the sun shine and then some cloud etc. Is it possible to detect people and send notification when people are detected?

@jchanying

Let Alfred hear your VOICE! Vote for Alfred’s Next Feature!