All about Low-Light Filter

low_light

Low-Light Filter is one of Alfred’s most popular features. A lot of Superheroes have told us they were amazed when they found out they don’t need any extra equipment for Alfred’s Low-Light Filter to work. How did we achieve this? How can you help this feature unleash its full potential? When should you enable Auto Low-Light Filter? Read all about Low-Light Filter today!

Alfred achieves Low-Light Filter by increasing contrast and reducing color. Like how it is with cameras, you can change the contrast, color, and other values for the result/effect that you consider ideal. In terms of Low-Light Filter, we aim at emphasizing the shape or outline of everything in sight. For example, anything that looks like noise in normal photos can actually help the outline stand out when you get the algorithm right.

Sounds awesome, right? We’d like to think so, too!

However, without infrared equipment, Alfred’s Low-Light Filter is not without its flaws. The most common complaint we get is Low-Light Filter doesn’t capture all that much when it is completely dark. Naturally, we are continuously working on polishing all of Alfred’s features. However, there is always going to be a limit to what the algorithm can do.

The best tip we can offer all you Superheroes for the moment is investing in a light with motion sensor. However, you might want to run some experiments to find the best setup because when the light is too close to the Camera device, the images will end up looking too washed-out.

One of Alfred’s relatively new features is called Auto Low-Light Filter. Auto Low-Light Filter works by detecting ambient light. When there isn’t enough, Low-Light Filter will be automatically enabled.

When should you enable Auto Low-Light Filter? When the view of your Camera device is pretty much all dark. For example, if you have a Camera device looking out from your front porch and you don’t mind so much the Events recorded around dawn are less colorful than usual (as it might take a while for the algorithm to detect the difference).

When should you turn Low-Light Filter on/off manually? When there is enough ambient light, but you are trying to observe a darker spot. For example, if your cat is sleeping in a covered cat bed in broad daylight.

Do you have any other Low-Light Filter-related questions that you want us to answer? Don’t forget to ask them by replying to this post!

Build your FREE home security system by downloading Alfred:

Adding infered lights
Night Vision
Picture Qulity2
Night Vision?
Low resolution
Focus & Zoom
Adjust/lower flashlight brightness
Motion detection isn't picking up loitering
Do I need an infrared camera for my security system to function in the dark?
Night vision can't see anything, how do i activate it?
Night Mode Not Turning On/Off Automatically
Problems with Night vision
High power IR LED source. Does it help at night?
Making a wish
I wish for ab infrared or night vision wireless camera
Vision mnocturna
Turn on flashlight feature if recorded triggered in low light
HD quality not so HD or phone resolution just not good enough?
HD effect has gone
Image quality differs
Turn camera front led when motion detection
Night mode camera
Problema notifiche
5 Tips for Making Alfred the BEST PET CAM
Motion detection during nightvision
Image is way to dark no matter what I do
Alfred Premium & Alfred Plus: Unlock Exclusive Features!
Can I retrieve video not caught by motion detection?
Frequently Asked Questions
How far away will detect motion
My night time mode doesn't help at all?
Upgrade is a downgrade
Slow motion playback
Night vision became blurry this days
Motion detection not recording at night for samsung galaxy S5 neo , OS version 7.0 app version 1536
Motion detection recording does not work at all at night samsung galaxy S 4, OS version 5.0.1 app version 1536
Auto Night Vision Setting on Website NOT WORKING
Night vision on my cell
One button enable/disable motion detection
Alfred is not recording
I need night vision please?
La camara no graba
Grabación Camara
Español: Preguntas más frecuentes
Scheduled daily low light filter routine
My night time mode doesn't help at all?
Night Vision/Low light filter!
Como configuro la imagen de la cámara (brillo, color, nitidez
I want to use a small battery operated night vision wireless camera
My moments are alway dark, can't see
Feature Request: Detecting audio turns on LED
Motion Detection not working with Low Light Filter
Motion detection not working
All about Motion Detection/Notifications
Night motion detection
Camara con flash
Why when I go to alfred I have a black screen
Should the motion detector work in the dark?
Night vision, 24/7 recording
Share Your Thoughts on WebViewer 2.0!
バージョナップしたら夜間の感度が落ちた。
Fake App! No HD video! Aufff
Camera Issues
Auto-low light filter won't turn off!
Video Post Process Filtering
Night Filter changed on its own
Detecta movimiento pero frena
Low Light Filter (Night vision)
Share Your Thoughts on WebViewer 2.0!
Camera didn't get any motion dectation after dark
Low light filter triggers motion notification
Save Data & Energy with Alfred's Remote Switch!
Automatic night vision?
No motion detection notification
Imagem ruim
Zooming Option
Missing Events, Stop recording before End of Event -> how to fix?
Auto low light
Night vision mode
Turn of night mode!
Night mode
What happened to Very High sensitivity setting? Android kitkat galaxy s3 mini as viewer, latest app version installed. Had very high setting on earlier app versions: now disappeared and camera motion detection not as good :(
Night vision & video not recording long enough
How do I make the picture brighter
Must-have Home Security App to Protect the Family
Por la noche la imagen esta demasiado borrosa
How to increase the 30 second video recording time
Active flash on motion detection on low light

Why do my night vision turn everything black. I have pretty good camera’s, but for some reason the night vision does not work when the lights are off.

Hi @tenhustles,

Thanks for joining us at Alfred Center!

Like we explained in the post, Alfred’s Night Vision doesn’t work the same way infrared lenses do. You’d need a little bit of light for it to work! Please experiment with different setups. We hope you’ll be able to make the most out of Night Vision!

Minha visão noturna não funcionava direito ao apagar as luzes aí mudei pra lâmpada preta que no escuro tudo da pra ver até no.modo noturno

Hey @marksilva02.03,

Alfred’s Night Vision needs a bit of light, but definitely not TOO much either. If there is enough light and Night Vision is enabled, chances are the images will be very very white.

Hope this helps!

Th you Alfred I am happy your app so nice best of luck

If you can,put Alfred across the room looking toward light. At least it seems best.:wink:

Can you change or turn on and off the low light filter whike recording and watching live feed and if so will it be noticeable by someone that you did on the cameras side?

Hi @jeromereed66,

Thank you for reaching out!

Yes you can! Just tap on the moon icon. The screen should stay dark as well.

Hope this helps!

Night vision is solid black! Don’t like it!

What’s the sense in the screen being black! I’m trying to keep my family safe! If it’s black it not worth it!

Hi @1southernchrome,

Thank you for joining us at Alfred Center!

Is there any light (even dim light) at all where you set up the Camera? Alfred’s Low-Light Filter processes images so you can see the outline. It is not an infrared equipment that allows you to see in total darkness.

If you are trying to guard your driveway for example, a light with motion sensor would be really helpful.

Please let me know if you have more questions/feedback! You can always send me a photo of your setup so I can come up with specific optimization advice.

My might vision is terrible. There is the perfect amount of light. Is there a adjustment on my note 3 or note 5 phone. I paid for a month but not happy enough to keep the upgrade. Now that I think about it I have seen better night vision using these two phones on a different app anyway let me know thank you

Hi @limochrislane,

Thank you so much for reaching out!

Sorry to hear you are not happy with Alfred’s Low-Light Filter. Would you mind sharing a link to an Event with us so we can take a look and give you more specific advice?

Keep me posted!

How far removed is it to use the camera device’s light sensor to activate the led flashlight instead of or as well as the low-light feature ? @sunny.hu

Z what’s the name of that app???

Hello, the low light filter seems to work using the phones onboard infrared light. If I supplemented the small light with a stronger infrared light would it help with the recognition? Thanks for your time. Love your app!

Hi Jake,

Thanks for experimenting with different settings to make Alfred work better!

Since Alfred’s Low-Light Filter still needs a little light to work, a stronger infrared light could indeed optimize the recognition.

If you need further assistance, you can always send us a screenshot or a link to an Event so we can take a look and give you more specific advice.

Hope this helps!